Woman lodges report in girl-in-pond case - and is arrested
Fri, Dec 25, 2009
The Star/Asia News Network
Read also:
» Public outcry over girl's killing

KUALA LUMPUR: The girl whose half-naked body was found in a pond on Tuesday has been identified by her mother.

The woman lodged a report alleging that her daughter, who would have turned nine next month, had been kidnapped.

The 34-year-old woman and her boyfriend have been arrested to assist in police investigations.

It is learnt that the woman, a single parent, was drunk while lodging the report at the Dang Wangi district police headquarters here at around 8pm.

Police became suspicious and detained her to facilitate investigations, while her boyfriend was arrested yesterday.

It is learnt the woman identified her daughter yesterday.

The case has been referred to the Sentul police headquarters as the girl's body was discovered in the district.

The woman, in her report, claimed that her daughter was kidnapped by an unknown man on a motorcycle when she went out to a nearby shop with a friend on Monday.

In her report, she said the man had earlier appeared at her house in Jalan Loke Yew, asking for a glass of water.

After drinking the water, the man allegedly kidnapped the girl and sped off on his motorcycle.

The kidnapper called the next day, demanding a RM2,000 (S$821) ransom, the woman claimed, adding that she paid him the money the same day at an undisclosed location in Jalan Ipoh.

He took the money and asked her to wait for 10 minutes but did not return.

She claimed he called her again on Wednesday, demanding another RM2,000 and threatening to kill the girl if the ransom was not paid.

Unable to pay the ransom, she said she decided to seek help from the police. By then, though, the body had been found.

Meanwhile, city deputy CID chief Asst Comm Khairi Ahrasa confirmed that police had arrested two people, including the woman, to help in investigations.

He said a 34-year-old man, believed to be the woman's boyfriend and neighbour, was arrested yesterday evening and expected to be remanded today.

"We expect more people to be arrested over the incident," he said when met at the Sentul police headquarters yesterday.

ACP Khairi also said police were conducting DNA tests to confirm if the girl was indeed the woman's daughter.

The woman was remanded for six days from yesterday. The case has been classified under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder.

The full post-mortem report on the girl is expected in two weeks to ascertain if she was raped and sodomised, as is being speculated.

The half-naked body of the girl was found floating in a water retention pond at Lorong Gurney, off Jalan Semarak, here, by three Kuala Lumpur City Hall workers who had gone there around 11.30am to collect garbage.

An initial post-mortem on the body on Wednesday showed that she could have been sexually assaulted before being strangled as there were injuries on her private parts.

  Public outcry over girl's killing
  Woman lodges report in girl-in-pond case - and is arrested
  Mum: Stranger kidnapped my daughter
  Baby fights for life, parents arrested
  Japan PM's former aide indicted in fund scandal: reports
  Man in custody as Virginia hostage ordeal ends: US mayor
  Journalist murdered near tourist hotspot in Mexico
  Taiwanese man poses as Brunei royal, cons hundreds: report
  China sentences five more to death for Xinjiang riot
  Former lawmaker sentenced for raping domestic helper
Public outcry over girl's killing
Suffer the children
Turkish editor murder shows risk for reporters: group
Insurance payout linked to triple murder
Woman faces murder charge

Elsewhere in AsiaOne...

Health: Man kills wife during bad dream

Digital: Parents unhappy about rape scenes in local TV dramas

Multimedia: AMK murder-suicide: A neighbour's account