>> ASIAONE / NEWS / ASIAONE NEWS / CRIME / STORY
Tue, Nov 09, 2010
AsiaOne
Youths attacked by '369' gang members
Click on thumbnail to view
For more photos, click here.
» Video: 7 hurt in Bukit Panjang slashings
» Downtown East murder case

SIX students have been hospitalised after suffering injuries from yet another gang-related slashing incident.

Seven youths brandishing chopping knives went on a slashing rampage at Bukit Panjang, around 10pm on Monday night.

In a report in Lianhe Wanbao, they were heard shouting gang slogan "Sah Lak Kau" (Hokkien for 369).

The attacks come less than two weeks after another gang-related incident led to the death of Republic Polytechnic student Darren Ng, who was hacked to death by a group of youths at Downtown East.

According to eye witnesses, the attackers - believed to be a group of seven or eight men - were seen slashing their first victim, a 20-year-old Indian man near Blk 418 Fajar Road.

In less than five minutes, witnesses saw them approaching the basketball court, located 500m away and next to Greenridge Shopping Centre near Blk 505 Jelapang Road.

Twenty youths were resting after a soccer game and just as they were about to leave, they were confronted by the attackers, who were holding 16-inch parangs.

One of the victims, a 18-year-old polytechnic student, known only as Mr Chen, told Lianhe Wanbao: "They pointed the knives at us and shouted 'Sah Lak Kau'.

"They also asked if we are members of 'Pak Hai Tong' and when we said no, they surrounded us and started slashing us."

He also said that the youngest among them was only eight years old.

Pak Hai Tong is the Hokkien name of another gang.

According to a reporter from the Chinese daily, a total of seven people were injured and six were sent to hospital. One of them refused to be hospitalised.

The father of the first victim told Lianhe Wanbao that his son, Mr Jayasiva Shangar Guru, was on his way home that night.

He also told him that he did not know the members of the gang.

Mr Jayasiva was found lying motionless in a pool of blood by a friend who saw the attack while jogging and started screaming for help.

The attack damaged his main artery and five tendons in his left limb. He might not be able to walk for the next six months.

Three victims whom The Straits Times spoke to also said "the attacks were unprovoked and they did not know their attackers". They denied being involved in gangs.

No one has been arrested so far.

Gang fights

Residents who spoke with Lianhe Wanbao revealed that there have been recent incidents of youths fighting in the area, including on the night of the slashing incident.

Residents also said that they would often see a group of youngsters gathering at the scene of the incident but they did not know what they were doing.

Parents living in the area are worried and one even said: "Why is this happening again? Not long ago, a student was killed at Downtown East and now it's happening here.

"Of course we're worried!"

Bookmark and Share

 
 
STORY INDEX
 
  Another charged for Downtown East murder
   
 
  Vietnamese stabbed to death in argument
   
 
  Man confesses to killing five in China: state media
   
 
  Photos: Youths attacked by '369' gang members
   
 
  Youths attacked by '369' gang members
   
 
  Japanese policemen mistook victim for attacker
   
 
  3 arrested for allegedly tattooing man's back
   
 
  Four 'saleswomen' held for cheating, robbery
   
 
  Thief drives off with boy
   
 
  Prison term of wildlife smuggler raised to 5 years
   
>> RELATED STORY
Another charged for Downtown East murder
Downtown East murder suspect promised to change for the better
Japanese gang uses adoption to get passports, loans
Teen who stared at group slashed to death
Suspects in fatal Downtown East slashing arrested

Elsewhere in AsiaOne...

Multimedia: 7 hurt in Bukit Panjang slashings

 

We welcome contributions, comments and tips.
a1admin@sph.com.sg
Search AsiaOne: