PUTRAJAYA: ONE of the two Automated Enforcement System (AES) cameras in the Selangor versus Federal Government dispute was "sabotaged" yesterday.
A check by the New Straits Times team at Km6.6 of the South Klang Valley Expressway (SKVE) in Puchong at noon yesterday showed that the camera's sensor to measure speed had been covered with a white plastic bag.
A vernacular newspaper photographer confirmed it was not tampered with when he took several pictures of the same camera two days ago.
Yesterday's discovery was made about an hour before the Sepang Municipal Council, under the instruction of Selangor executive councillor in charge of local councils Ronnie Liu, planned to cover it along with another one near the Kajang exit at Km301.7 of the North-South Expressway.
The council later issued a press statement to announce that it had called off the plan.
Its president, Mohd Sayuthi Bakar, said the council had issued a notice to the company responsible for installing the cameras, Beta Tegap Sdn Bhd, and to the Road Transport Department to cover up the cameras within 30 days.
"A notice under Section 72(1)c of the Drainage and Building Act 1974 was issued to them on Thursday," he said, adding that the council would take action if the deadline was not met.
Reporters had stationed themselves at the two AES locations for several hours yesterday before learning of the council's decision.
Policemen at the Km6.6 location said they would investigate the "sabotage" if a report was lodged.
NST could not contact RTD director-general Datuk Solah Mat Hassan for comments.