KOTA BARU - MENTERI Besar Datuk Nik Abdul Aziz Nik Mat yesterday admitted to giving pocket money to Pas supporters from Kelantan to attend the Bersih rally in Kuala Lumpur on Saturday.
Nik Aziz, who is also Pas spiritual adviser, said the money was his own.
"There is no harm in it. People from my constituency came to see me and said they wanted to go for the gathering but did not have the money.
"I gave them the money as they wanted it for accommodation, food and petrol.
"Why can't I give them something? After all, they are leaving their houses and families to join the gathering."
Nik Aziz was commenting on reports that participants from the state were fully sponsored by the party, including for transportation, accommodation and food.
On the chaos and violence at the rally, Nik Aziz said he believed Pas supporters were not involved as they were "educated and disciplined".
"If they did it, there must be a reason. They were probably pressured or blocked.
"I can't understand why this happened.
"At the anti-Lynas rally in Pahang last month, it was permitted and there was police security, but nothing happened.
"But I can't say the same for yesterday's rally."
Several protesters on Saturday had claimed that they were provided with transportation, accommodation and RM150 pocket money to attend the gathering.
A group of Pas members from the Tumpat division had also said during Bersih 2.0 they had used their own money, but this time they alleged was different as everything was paid for.
It was also reported in a Malay daily that the chaos was triggered by agent provocateurs from the opposition who had instigated the protesters to storm Dataran Merdeka.
The rally demanding a free and fair election turned chaotic after several demonstrators turned unruly and violent.