KUALA LUMPUR - The parents of a 12-year-old Dutch boy who was kidnapped a week ago in Malaysia said their son had been safely returned to the family Thursday, with police revealing a ransom had been paid.
Nayati Moodliar was walking to the Mont Kiara International School located in an upmarket suburb near the capital Kuala Lumpur last Friday when he was kidnapped by two men who bundled him into a car.
Police sources said the kidnappers contacted the family shortly after he was grabbed by two men in a black Gen-2 car and later demanded for a ransom for his safe release.
The "traumatised" boy was found early Thursday by his family on the edge of a highway north of the capital after he telephoned them using a mobile phone left behind by the kidnappers, police said.
"We have got NAYATI back. He is back (in) our arms again. Thank you all for your support! - Moodliar Family," the parents said in a post on Facebook, which along with Twitter they had used to appeal for their son's release.
It was a tearful family reunion for 12-year-old Nayati Shamelin Moodliar, who was abducted while walking to his school on April 27.
The family made no comment on a ransom but Kuala Lumpur police chief Mohmad Salleh said one was paid Wednesday to free the boy, who has dual Dutch and South African nationality.
However, he did not say who paid the ransom or how much it was.
"We are glad he is free. Investigations are continuing to identify the kidnappers," he told a media conference.
Mohmad said the boy was safe and did not suffer any injuries but was in a traumatised state.
"The boy has been traumatised by the incident. We will allow him to rest for a day or two and then will seek information regarding the event," he said.
Mohmad said kidnapping was a serious offence in Malaysia and the perpetrators could face death by hanging.
The kidnapping had even drawn the attention of Prime Minister Najib Razak, who used Twitter to urge his release: "I appeal as a father for Nayati not to be harmed in any way."
City police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Mohmad Salleh said the child was released safely and unharmed at a rest and recreation stop along the North South Expressway near Sungai Buloh at around 7.55am Thursday.