S'porean man found floating in Bedok Reservoir

While search efforts for a missing man were going on at Bedok Reservoir over the weekend, another man almost drowned to death at the same area.

A Singaporean man in his 50s was found floating in the reservoir on Monday afternoon by a group canoeists and joggers.

At around 5.30pm, four canoeists spotted the man floating face up in the water.

At first, they thought it was the body of Indian construction worker Raman Selvam, 33, who was reported missing on Saturday. His body was found in Bedok Reservoir on Monday morning.

One of the rescuers, software engineer Mr Wong Kai Chuan, 33, was the first to respond and called for help by stopping other joggers to ask them to call the police, reported The New Paper.

"At first, I was a bit scared to think it was a dead person. But then I saw some twitching motion in his left hand so I realised he was alive," said Mr Wong.

The man was wearing a striped polo shirt, jeans and safety boots.

Another rescuer, sales executive Mr Andy Koh, 44, told The New Paper that he looked like he was half-way through work or had just finished.

Mr Koh also said he could smell alcohol on him.

The man was unconscious but alive and has been taken to Changi General Hospital.

The rescuers also noticed that he had a small slash wound on his left wrist, which had a plaster on it.

While waiting for the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) to arrive, the three joggers - who never met before - managed to carry the man out of the ankle-deep water as the canoeists had brought him near the shore.

One of the joggers, electrician contract Mr Lee Kim Chye, 48, told The New Paper: "We didn't hesitate, I grabbed his hands while the others grabbed his legs. He was making soft grunting sounds.

"He is very lucky that the canoeists were there, otherwise it would have been yet another body."

The canoeists left the scene before the police arrived.

SCDF said an ambulance and a fire engine was sent to the location opposite Water Venture at Bedok Reservoir.

"When we arrived, the man was already out of the water. Paramedics administered treatment and conveyed him to Changi General Hospital in a semi-conscious condition," said a spokesman for SCDF.

The New Paper said that the police are looking into the matter.

This incident comes after four drowning cases at Bedok Reservoir this year.

On June 20, the body of Mr Lin Xiao, 23, was found floating the reservoir. The upper half of his body was misisng.

Three months later on Sep 22, Ms Tan Sze Sze, 32, and her three-year-old son, Jerald Chin, were found dead in the reservoir, two days after they were reported missing by their family.

On Monday morning, the body of Indian construction worker Mr Selvam was found after SCDF officers spent more than 10 hours over the weekend looking for his body.