German police detain man over terror-threat videos
Fri, Nov 05, 2010
BERLIN, GERMANY - Police in the German state of Saarland arrested a man on Friday suspected of publishing three videos on the Internet which threatened to carry out terrorist attacks in Germany.
The arrest followed investigations into the videos which appeared on YouTube in mid-October, Saarland police said in a statement. They said the man threatened to carry out the attacks in the videos but gave no further details, adding that they would hold a news conference at 4 p.m. (1500 GMT).
Last month the United States and Britain advised caution to travellers visiting Germany and France and intelligence sources spoke of plots against European cities involving al Qaeda and allied militants, some of them European citizens or residents.
Germany has long viewed itself as a potential target because it has 4,590 military personnel stationed in Afghanistan, the third largest contingent of the 150,000-strong international force fighting the Taliban-led insurgency.
Germany has been largely spared terror attacks by Islamic militants, even though the leaders of the 9/11 attacks on the United States in 2001 were students based in Germany.
The government says it sees no immediate signs of a threat, talking instead of a general abstract danger for the country.
Chancellor Angela Merkel was sent a letter bomb from Greece via air cargo that was discovered by police this week.
"Everyone must be on the alert," said Merkel, who may have been targeted because of her insistence that Greece carry out very unpopular austerity measures in return for an EU bailout.