By Lee Shi-Ian
PETALING JAYA, Malaysia - Police yesterday refuted allegations that they had used excessive force on Friday night when an 18-year-old robber was shot dead in Dengkil.
Selangor Criminal Investigation Department chief Senior Assistant Commissioner Adnan Abdullah said Johari Abu Bakar had acted in an aggressive manner and opened fire on police first.
"He had rammed his vehicle, a stolen Toyota Alphard, into a patrol car and fired several shots at the police. We had to take defensive measures," Adnan said.
"We are aware of the allegations made against us," he said, adding that the case had been classified as attempted murder.
Johari was shot by police on Friday when he attempted to escape by reversing a stolen Toyota Alphard into a patrol car, dragging it about 30 metres.
When he failed to find a way out, Johari allegedly fired several shots at the police with a semi-automatic pistol in the incident at 10.30pm.
Police later disclosed that Johari was among five robbers, some of whom had been identified, who were involved in the armed theft of the Toyota Alphard in Taman Megah.
However, Johari's mother, Salmah Mohamed Shariff, 41, refused to accept police claims that her son had behaved in such an aggressive manner.
"Johari was an obedient boy who did not have any prior criminal records and will not get involved with the wrong crowd."
Met by reporters yesterday at the Damansara police station, Salmah claimed that Johari did not even have access to a gun.
"When I saw him a week ago, he told me that he was going to stay with a group of friends. He used to call me on a daily basis."
She claimed that she had received contradicting reports from the police on the circumstances surrounding her son's death.
"When I saw his body at the Serdang Hospital mortuary on Saturday, it looked like his right arm had been broken, while he also had several bullet wounds."
-New Straits Times