Woman drives herself to clinic after being stabbed

KUALA LUMPUR: A woman, who was stabbed in the thigh and abdomen, drove herself to a clinic before collapsing, in yet another attack on lone women.

Chin Suet Fong, who was injured in the incident on Thursday, spent three days in the intensive care unit (ICU) at a private hospital in Cheras after undergoing an emergency operation.

The 39-year-old victim was deemed well enough to be transferred to a normal ward on Sunday, where she is recuperating.

Chin, a secretary at a law firm in Mid Valley City, said she had alighted from the train at the Bandar Tun Razak light rapid transit (LRT) station at 8.30pm and was heading towards her car that was parked in the compound of the station.

"As I was walking, I saw two men crouched in between the cars parked there. I thought they were trying to break into a car, so I walked faster."

However, the two suspects, who were wearing full-faced helmets, sprang at her and grabbed her bag.

"I screamed and I pulled back the bag. One of them told me he would stab me if I did not give him the bag."

But when Chin clung on to her bag, one of the suspects stabbed her twice with a knife in the thigh and abdomen.

"When I fell, the two suspects fled empty-handed," she said.

The gutsy woman then got into her Perodua Myvi and drove to a clinic in Taman Midah, about 2 1/2km from the station.

"I only noticed that I was covered in blood when I tried to fasten my safety belt. Even then, I thought it was because of the fall. But as I was driving, I felt nauseous and broke out in cold sweat."

A doctor at the clinic told her that her condition was serious and she called a friend to ask for help before she became unconscious.

She was taken to the hospital, where doctors performed a three-hour surgery. Chin also received at least 15 stitches for her wounds.

"I have been robbed many times before but this is the first time I was injured," she said. "I will not park there any more. I will drive to work instead."

Chin lamented about a lack of security at LRT stations, adding that it was dark as the lights in the parking lot had been faulty for a few days.

"There were no closed-circuit television cameras and no one around at that time."

City Criminal Investigation Department deputy chief Assistant Commissioner Khairi Ahrasa said the case has been classified as causing hurt in committing robbery.

"We ask those who witnessed the incident to come forward to assist in investigations."

Become a fan on Facebook