KOTA KINABALU, Malaysia - Another eight influenza A (H1N1) deaths were reported today, bringing the total number of fatalities in Malaysia to 26.
Health Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai who confirmed this said Sabah recorded its first two deaths after a 24-year-old obese woman and a man aged 74 years with chronic heart disease succumbed to the virus last week.
He said some of the other deaths involved a 20-year-old female student who was found dead at her hostel in the peninsula, a 48-year-old asmathic man and an obese man aged 37 years who died at the Sultanah Aminah Hospital in Johor.
"The latest eight deaths happened between Aug 3 and Aug 8 but we could only confirm that they died of influenza A after getting post mortem results.
"Seven of the deaths involved people with high risk factors," he said after renaming the Likas Hospital near here to the Women and Child Hospital.
Liow said 62 people were being treated at wards and another 13 were in the intensive care unit after contracting the virus.
In Sabah, there are seven confirmed H1N1 patients receiving treatment including one at the ICU, and another seven are waiting for results of tests done on them.
He said 35 schools were closed in the Sabah.