Mother dies after swallowing 200 pills

MALACCA - A 42-year-old mother of three, who was suffering from hypertension and diabetes, died at the Malacca Hospital after taking 200 pills for "pain".

R.M. Janagi from Taman Sri Krubong was said to be experiencing "excruciating" pain in the chest when she swallowed the pills at 5pm on Saturday.

Janagi supposedly consumed three months' supply of blood pressure and diabetes medicine prescribed to her by doctors.

Special secretary to the Chief Minister Datuk M.S. Mahadevan, who was informed of her death, said it was not certain whether Janagi knew the consequences of her act.

"A day before, she seemed normal and her family members are still puzzled as to why she popped all the pills simultaneously," he said.

Mahadevan, who attended the funeral yesterday, said Janagi lost her husband due to an ailment in 2004 and worked as a cleaner to support her three children.

He said the state government would help her children - S. Kanpheswaran, 15, Logeswaran, nine, and Pavithra, eight, until they complete their tertiary education.

Become a fan on Facebook