PETALING JAYA - The Malaysian security forces all out attack against Sulu invaders in Kampung Tanduo at 7am, Tuesday is a defence of the country's honour and sovereignty, said Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.
Najib said the government has taken the necessary action to defend honour and sovereignty of the country as demanded by the rakyat.
Najib said Malaysia was an Islamic country that loved peace and that sought to always to resolve conflict through diplomacy.
"But our effort to avoid bloodshed has failed,'' he said.
Najib said he preferred to resolve the conflict in a peaceful manner, but the invaders had attacked and killed security personnel.
Najib said drastic measures had to be taken in view of Sabahans' safety.
"The police held talks with them, hoping that they would leave peacefully, without having to bear the serious consequences of the law.
"However, the longer the intrusion, it has become clear to the authorities that the invaders had no intention of leaving Sabah.
"Last Friday, they fired shots at policemen on duty at the area, causing the deaths of two personnel.
"A day later, the intruders killed six more policemen in Semporna," he said.
Najib said that after the first attack, he had warned the intruders to surrender, failing which the authorities would take action.
Najib had earlier tweeted, calling on Malaysians to rally behind "our brave security forces", with the hope that the situation would be resolved soon.
"The Safety of Sabahans is our priority," said Najib.
|Philippine sultan infuriates two countries: Find out the backstory
Click on thumbnail to view (Photos: AFP, Reuters, The Star/ANN, video screengrabs, NST)