Philippines Estrada says not conceding or protesting
Tue, May 11, 2010
MANILA, PHILIPPINES - Former Philippine President Joseph Estrada will wait for official results of this week's presidential race before conceding, but is not planning any electoral protest, his senator son said on Tuesday.
'I wish to assure the public that while I plan no protests, I am not conceding,' Estrada said in a statement read on television by his son Jinggoy, adding the poll results so far were based on unofficial tallies and that only only Congress had the power to proclaim winners in the presidential contest.
'Should the unofficial partial returns be borne out in the official Congressional canvass, I will gladly bow to the sovereign will of the people,' Estrada said.
Estrada is running second with 25.5 per cent of votes to Senator Benigno 'Noynoy' Aquino's 40.2 per cent, based on the latest unofficial tally by the elections body.