IT WAS to be a joyous occasion to celebrate the culmination of more than 10 years of courtship.
But barely an hour into the wedding dinner at the Grand Hyatt Singapore on Thursday night, the couple's dream of a happy banquet became a nightmare.
Guests were laughing over video highlights showing what had happened earlier in the day when a fire alarm started ringing.
The next thing they knew, the Grand Ballroom was plunged into darkness.
This was at 9.30pm, after the fourth dish of the eight-course dinner had just been served.
Besides the lights, the air-conditioning also broke down. The microphones, too, were not working, so guests sat in the dark wondering what was going on.
It wasn't until 45 minutes later that a hotel manager made an announcement that the banquet would not be continuing.
So the guests began to leave, and there was nothing the wedding couple could do but to apologise.
At 10.45pm, when The New Paper team arrived, the lights in the ballroom were still off and the room remained stuffy.
The 33-year-old groom, who should have been relaxing with his wife in a comfortable hotel suite, appeared tired and dishevelled.
Most of the guests had left by then, but a few close friends remained behind, surrounding him as he took a smoke break outside the hotel.