Underage sex scandal: Businessman allowed to travel overseas

Above: Businessman Edward Whistler Goh running out of the Subordinate Courts after being charged on April 18, 2012.

SINGAPORE - A businessman charged in connection with the online vice case has been granted permission to travel overseas.

Edward Whistler Goh Ngian Meng's lawyer said Goh needed to go to Shanghai, China and Kota Kinabalu, East Malaysia for business and an event.

The Straits Times reported that the 49-year-old is the founder and CEO of Edward Whistler International Group, which specialises in business consulting and management training.

He was among a group of men hauled to court for paid sex with a minor.

He faces two charges of paid sex with the girl.

So far, 48 men have been prosecuted for paid sex with a girl under 18. The crime is punishable with a jail term of up to seven years, a fine, or both.

The Straits Times also said that Swiss national Juerg Buergin, 40, former banker with UBS Investment Bank in Singapore was freed on $15,000 bail on Friday afternoon.

According to a report by AFP, his lawyer said that Buergin is intending to plead not guilty.

His case will be heard in court on June 18.

hteoh@sph.com.sg

Become a fan on Facebook

COMMENTS