Shaw and Buergin in court for discovery conference

Lawyers representing Howard Shaw leaving the Subordinate Courts this afternoon.

SINGAPORE - Hearing for two of the 48 men allegedly involved the underage sex scandal continued in court today.

Howard Shaw, 41, and Juerg Buergin, 40, returned to court on Monday for discovery conferences, during which the prosecution and defence teams exchange case information.

In a statement, Shaw's lawyers said that Mr Shaw had requested for an early plea to be taken and will return to court on June 27.

Buergin will return to court on July 3. His lawyer Mr Selva K Naidu told the media that his client will not plead guilty.

Shaw, the grandson of Runme Shaw, founder of Shaw Organisation, and Buergin, the former executive director of operations at UBS Investment Bank, were charged in April this year with having paid sex with a Singaporean minor whose services had been advertised on a website.

The girl, who is now above 18 years old, allegedly received between $450 and $850 a session with each of the 48 men between September 2010 and February last year.

So far, only former Pei Chun Public School principal Lee Lip Hong has pleaded guilty. He was sentenced to a nine-week jail term on April 2, but was released after six weeks for good behaviour.

Another four men have indicated that they intend to plead guilty when they return to court in the next few weeks. Wilson Oei, 25, and Chiang Meng Chuan, 31, are due to appear in court on June 27. While Louis Lee Lip Kian, 33, is due back on July 9, and Pyi Kway Han, 31, on July 12.

natlim@sph.com.sg

Become a fan on Facebook

COMMENTS