A Singapore press holdings portal

Asia

Tuesday, Sep 2, 2014

Asia

Bombing at Philippines International Airport foiled

Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN | Tuesday, Sep 2, 2014

The Toyota Revo where the explosive devices were found is parked at the NBI headquarters in Manila.

MANILA, Philippines - Four military reservists wanted to tell the Aquino administration that it should toughen up in the territorial dispute between the Philippines and China in the West Philippine Sea but they chose the wrong way to send the message to Malacañang-by setting off bombs at Naia Terminal 3, a nearby mall and the main office of a real estate developer in Makati City.

They set out on Sunday night to send the message to the government, driving to Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Naia) Terminal 3 to plant the first bomb.

They got only as far as the terminal's car park.

After parking their utility vehicle there at 1:45 a.m., they were arrested by National Bureau of Investigation agents, who had been tailing them since they moved out at 9 p.m.

A source who requested anonymity told the Inquirer that the authorities, led by NBI Anti-Organized Crime Division chief Rommel Vallejo and senior agent Eric Isidoro, found six "improvised explosive devices" (including banned firecrackers such as Goodbye Philippines wrapped in round bottles with gasoline) in the vehicle, a Toyota Revo with Plate No. WMK 129.

The source identified the leader of the group as Grandeur Guerrero, but did not name the three others.

The source said all four were reserve military officers, but did not disclose which branch of the military.

Documents urging the government to take a tougher stand in the territorial dispute with China and criticizing the administration for allowing Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV to conduct back-channel talks with the Chinese on the dispute were also found in the vehicle, the source said.

A .38-cal. revolver was also found on one of the four men, the source said.

"They claimed they wanted to call the attention of the government to its soft stance on [the territorial dispute with China], like the [standoff] at Ayungin Shoal," the source said.

Three targets

According to the source, Guerrero and his companions claimed they had planned to set the bombs off at Naia Terminal 3, Mall of Asia and the main office of DMCI in Makati City. DMCI, a leading real estate company, was earlier subjected to an investigation for allegedly employing undocumented Chinese nationals in its Calaca power plant in Batangas.

"Our purpose is only to make a wake-up call to the government about its soft stand against China and not to hurt people," the source quoted Guerrero as saying during his interrogation.

The devices found in the four men's vehicle were not real bombs but large firecrackers "enhanced with gasoline," the source said.

The explosives were not made to kill but could cause fire and injuries to people, the source said.

The devices had long fuses, which would give the four men enough time to get away before the explosion, the source said.

Malacañang had no comment about the arrest of the four men.

Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma said President Aquino had been informed about the arrest of the four men and had ordered the Department of Justice and the NBI to submit a report.

No comments yet.
Be the first to post comment.