A Singapore press holdings portal

Asia

Wednesday, Aug 6, 2014

Asia

Indonesian Minister says YouTube has removed 7 ISIS videos

The Jakarta Post/ANN | Wednesday, Aug 6, 2014

Communication and Information Minister Tifatul Sembiring says that video sharing site YouTube had pulled videos provoking Indonesian Muslims to support the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).

"These are the seven original sources of the ISIS video, which had been removed by YouTube with 20 flags. The others will follow," Tifatul said through his Twitter account @tifsembiring on Tuesday.

Even though YouTube, a subsidiary of Google, had pulled down seven ISIS videos based on the ministry's request, Internet users can still watch the video posted on the video-sharing website.

Communication and Information Ministry spokesman Ismail Cawidu said the ministry had sent a request on Monday afternoon, but he did not know whether the video had been removed or not.

"Perhaps removing the video takes time," Ismail said as quoted by kompas.com on Tuesday.

Netizens on Twitter have criticised Tifatul over the videos, which show Indonesians declaring support for the Islamic caliphate in Iraq and Syria.

No comments yet.
Be the first to post comment.