A Singapore press holdings portal

Singapore

Maureen Koh
Friday, Jun 13, 2014

Singapore

Prince & Princess World 2014: Pageant confusion

The New Paper | Maureen Koh | Friday, Jun 13, 2014

Madam Sarina Yee has not responded to calls and messages.

Pageant mothers are often a nervous lot.

But some of those taking part in the Prince & Princess Asian World 2014, originally scheduled for June 1 here, are especially worried.

The venue and date for the event are unclear, the organiser cannot be reached and now some are worried they will not be able to get a refund.

The New Paper understands that there are about 25 contestants, aged between four and 16 years old.

After being postponed to June 15, they are now not sure if the event will even take place.

They told TNP they have not been able to contact the organiser.

Several parents have taken to posting messages on the Facebook account "Rina-Adorable Aura" since June 5.

The account belongs to pageant organiser Norhudah Sarina Mohd Dokfar, also known as Sarina Yee, from Makin & Sorfina Productions.

Some parents have been asking if she was fine while others have grown impatient with the apparent silence.

TNP spoke to 12 parents, who paid between $200 and $1,500 to register their children for the event. The sums vary as some parents paid more to book a space in the souvenir programme book and tickets for their supporters.

Mrs Rozita Klaseboer, 42, a make-up artist, said she had paid a total of $1,150 for her seven-year-old daughter's participation.

Of that, $600 covered the registration fee, a full page of her child's photo inside the programme book and the back cover.

The remaining $550 was for a table of 10 at the luncheon, offered to Mrs Klaseboer at a discount of $10 per person.

She said: "I really don't know what happened, but the last I heard from her (Madam Sarina) was that the event would be postponed to June 15. But I explained to her that we could not make that date, and asked for a refund.

"She sent me a message on May 29 to say that the refund can take place only on June 15."

Confusion 1: On or off?

Late last month, two outdoor photo shoots were held for the children. And according to the schedule, parents should have been informed of the rehearsal timings by this week.

Madam Manjula Thanapathay, 37, paid $1,500 in total for her two daughters, aged six and 13.

The sum covered a Supremacy Award (of which there was 50 per cent discount from the original $1,500) that was to be presented to Madam Thanapathay for being inspirational, $600 for another pageant that was to be held in September and $150 registration fee for the two young girls.

The housewife said: "I've been trying to get a confirmation of the event after it was postponed, but all she (Madam Sarina) said was she'd update us, but she didn't get back to me after that."

Another mother, who declined to be named, said she had asked for a refund of $500, which she had paid for her three daughters to take part in the event. She has yet to hear from the organiser.

No comments yet.
Be the first to post comment.