A Singapore press holdings portal


Saturday, Apr 12, 2014


Query on tax relief for foreigners

The Straits Times | Saturday, Apr 12, 2014

I heard from a foreigner working here that he can claim qualifying child relief or handicapped child relief even though his children are not Singaporeans or Singapore permanent residents, and are not even staying here.

I was baffled as I thought the tax relief was only for children in Singapore.

If a foreigner can claim relief of $4,000 for each child not staying in Singapore, shouldn't a Singaporean be able to claim more, since his children are living here and expenses would be incurred in bringing them up here?

I hope the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore can clarify the matter.

Ivan Goh


This article was published on April 10 in The Straits Times.

Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

No comments yet.
Be the first to post comment.