Anwar admits to talks of him taking over as Selangor MB

BUKIT MERTAJAM, Malaysia - Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has admitted that there had been discussions of him taking over the Selangor Mentri Besar's post if he wins the Kajang by-election.

The PKR adviser, however, said he must first win the by-election "above all else".

He also said it was a necessary step for him to contest in the by-election to turn Selangor into a model state.

Anwar said he would continue to fulfil his duty as the Permatang Pauh MP even if he wins the seat.

"If you can be an MP in Sarawak and assemblyman in Sabah or vice versa, I do not think being an MP in Permatang Pauh and Kajang state assemblyman will be a problem," he said in response to questions at a press conference after meeting Per­matang Pauh residents in Yayasan An-Nahdhoh, Kubang Semang, on Saturday night.

Anwar said serving Permatang Pauh constituents was a responsibility he will fulfil as he had been given the mandate MP by the voters.

In Alor Setar later, Anwar denied claims by sources close to Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim that there was an agreement between him and the Selangor Mentri Besar for Bukit Antarabangsa assemblyman Azmin Ali to vacate his seat for him.

He said he also did not know of any rumours that Azmin would vacate his seat after Lee.

He said Lee's decision to resign was made on his own will.

Become a fan on Facebook