A Singapore press holdings portal

Malaysia

Malaysia says 'minor incident' at checkpoint was not a strike

The Star/ANN | Saturday, Aug 2, 2014

PETALING JAYA, Malaysia - The Public Works Department (PWD) has refuted reports of a strike staged by bus drivers ferrying factory workers into Singapore.

The department said the incident at the Customs, Immigration and Quarantine (CIQ) Complex in Johor early Friday morning was only a minor one involving two bus drivers who refused to pay the new toll rates imposed by the Malaysian Highway Authority (MHA).

“The government takes this matter very seriously and firm legal action will be taken against the two drivers who showed irresponsible behaviour.

“There have been no issues with the toll collection operations at the CIQ building, and highway officials will be on site to monitor the situation and ensure traffic congestion is reduced,” PWD said in a statement.

The new toll rates at the CIQ building, which were announced by MHA last week, took effect on Friday midnight.

The rates were set at RM9.70 (S$3.80) for in-bound cars and RM6.80 for out-bound cars.

No comments yet.
Be the first to post comment.