SINGAPORE - It may be the start of a new year, but it is not the end of troubles plaguing Orchard Road. After a series of mishaps in 2015, shopping mall Wisma Atria was the latest casualty, suffering a power outage on Sunday afternoon (Jan 10).
The entire Orchard Road mall was hit by the power outage, some users on social media said, while other conflicting updates on social media said that the blackout was isolated to the basement.
News of the blackout first surfaced on Twitter at around 3.47pm.
Staff from Wisma Atria told the Straits Times that power was restored at 5.30pm.
On Dec 11, a 48-year-old man died after jumping from the fifth floor at Wisma Atria.
A day later on Dec 12, Orchard Central was plunged into darkness after water seepage from a heavy downpour caused a blackout. It took mall staff nearly 12hours to fully restore power then.
The next day, the ceiling of the driveway at Hilton Singapore came crashing down, damaging a black Volvo and white Prime Royal taxi in the process
There were a few fires that hit malls along the main shopping belt in December 2015 too. Lucky Plaza was unlucky when a fire engulfed a restaurant on Dec 19, while there were two other instances of Christmas decorations catching fire in separate incidents.
Orchard Road woes
Shopping mall Wisma Atria along Orchard Road was hit by a power outage on Sunday (Jan 10) afternoon.
News of the blackout surfaced on social media as early as 3.47pm. Power was restored at around 5.30pm, mall staff told The Straits Times.
Several Twitter users claimed that the entire mall had been affected, while others said it was only the basement.
Photos posted on Facebook and Twitter showed shoppers walking in darkness along the underground stretch that connects Orchard MRT station to Takashimaya Shopping Centre.
Last month, water seepage during a heavy downpour caused a blackout at another mall along the popular shopping belt.
A fire broke out in Orchard Plaza's B2 carpark on Dec 21. According to SCDF, the fire involved some discarded items. No injuries were reported.
In two separate incidents, two Christmas trees caught fire along Orchard Road.
The first incident involved a Christmas tree, located outside Topshop at Knightsbridge mall, which caught fire on Dec 2.
The second tree near Orchard Gateway shopping mall caught fire on Dec 10 at around 9pm and involved Christmas decorations.
A slab of concrete fell from a pedestrian bridge outside Orchard Plaza last Wednesday (Dec 9).
The collapse of a false ceiling at Hilton hotel happened on Dec 13.
Four people were taken to hospital.
A 48-year-old man jumped from the fifth floor of Wisma Atria shopping mall on Dec 10 and died from his injuries after being sent to Singapore General Hospital.
Last Saturday afternoon (Dec 12), Orchard Central was plunged into darkness after water seepage from a heavy downpour caused a blackout.
On Dec 11, a tree fell on the road in front of Orchard Central mall. No injuries were reported.
A fire broke out at Lucky Plaza shopping centre on Friday (Dec 18).
The Straits Times reported that the fire started in a restaurant's kitchen. The fire also involved ventilation ducts on the first floor of the shopping centre, according to Channel NewsAsia.
Members of the public at Orchard Road admiring the Christmas lights got more than what they bargained for when one of the Christmas decorations caught fire.
This is the second Christmas prop to catch fire at Orchard Road this year when a Christmas tree outside Abercrombie & Fitch burst into flames.
The extra sparkle happened near Orchard Gateway shopping mall at around 9pm on Thursday night (Dec 10), and was widely shared on social media.
Online footage showed the Christmas decoration, hung below a street lamp, in flames as bits of the decor fell on the road.
A police car was seen parked in front of Centrepoint shopping centre as a fire engine approached.
The small fire was later extinguished, to cheers from onlookers.
Throughout the entire time, the street lamp remained lited, unaffected by the fire.
Aftermath of Christmas tree fire on Orchard Road.
SCDF and police at the scene.
The Christmas tree located outside Topshop at Knightsbridge mall along Orchard Road had caught fire on Wednesday, Dec 2.
A different view of the burning Christmas tree from across the road from Knightsbridge mall.
The Christmas tree that was engulfed in flames was very near other Christmas decorations along the street.
Many cars slowed down as they drove past the flaming Christmas tree.
From an AsiaOne video, the fire could be seen spreading and slowly burning up the whole tree.
Engulfed in flames.
According to online reports, no one was injured in the incident.