A Singapore press holdings portal


Tuesday, Sep 30, 2014


Police arrest man, 22, for slashing bouncer's throat with penknife

AsiaOne | Tuesday, Sep 30, 2014

SINGAPORE - Police said in a statement today that they have arrested a 22-year-old man who is believed to have slashed the throat of a bouncer of a club at Sentosa Gateway, near St James Power Station, early Sunday morning.

Police said they were alerted to the case of an injured male victim who was conveyed to the Singapore General Hospital.

After conducting extensive ground enquiries and follow-up investigations, police officers managed to establish the identity of the suspect. He was arrested at Clementi Ave 5 on Tuesday night.

Preliminary investigations revealed that the victim was attacked by the suspect after telling the latter to leave the club due to his rowdy behaviour.

According to reports, the bouncer was allegedly slashed in the throat with a penknife at 4.30am on sunday. He was told by doctors that the blade missed his jugular veins by a few millimetres.

A bouncer of another club, known only as M, told Stomp that he and another bouncer rushed to the scene when they heard a loud commotion at one of the clubs.

M said he saw a young patron swinging his fist at the victim who was standing at the club's entrance door.

"My first thought was that he had punched the bouncer so I shouted at the group of four youngsters to stand away from him to avoid further issues.

"When I went near the bouncer I was shocked to find a very big hole on the his neck and immediately turned to the young patron who swung his arm," said M.

When he asked the suspect what was in his hand, M said that he "haughtily showed the paper cutter in his palm and did not show any form of remorse for his actions".

M said that the suspect's three friends pleaded with him to let the suspect go. The group then ran away from the scene, and to M's shock, the fallen bouncer jumped up and started chasing the group with the other bouncers who were present.

"The youths split into two groups. One ran towards VivoCity and the other towards the main road going to HarbourFront.

"The victim, however, became drowsy and fell at the bridge to VivoCity and I called the police while another colleague called for an ambulance," said M.

The suspect will be charged in court tomorrow for voluntarily causing hurt with a dangerous weapon. If found guilty, he might face jail of up to seven years, a fine, and caning.


No comments yet.
Be the first to post comment.