A Singapore press holdings portal

World

Britain says Libya hostage freed by militants

Reuters | Sunday, Oct 5, 2014

Bolam was releasd days after the killing of a British hostage, aid worker Alan Henning (pictured) by Islamic State militants fighting in Iraq and Syria

LONDON - A British man who had been held hostage by militants in Libya has been released, the British Foreign Office said on Sunday.

"We are glad that David Bolam is safe and well after his ordeal, and that he has been reunited with his family," a Foreign Office spokeswoman said.

"We have been supporting his family since he was taken."

Bolam was releasd days after the killing of a British hostage, aid worker Alan Henning by Islamic State militants fighting in Iraq and Syria - the latest in a series of such murders which have been filmed and posted online.

The Foreign Office declined to comment further on the details of Bolam's case but British media reported that he had been taken hostage in May and had in August featured in a video posted online in which he pleaded for his life.

He was a teacher at an international school in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi, the reports said.

Libya is being racked by violence as the armed groups which helped topple Muammar Gaddafi in 2011 turn their guns on each other in a struggle for the country's vast oil resources and political domination.

No comments yet.
Be the first to post comment.