A Singapore press holdings portal

World

New Straits Times
Monday, May 12, 2014

World

Taliban offensive opens with rocket attack on Kabul airport

New Straits Times | Monday, May 12, 2014

KABUL - The Taliban launched their annual "spring offensive" today by firing rockets at Kabul airport, but the attack missed its target and caused no casualties, Afghan officials said.

At least two rockets exploded at 5:00 am (0030 GMT), the exact time that the insurgents had vowed to start a new nationwide operation against US-led foreign forces and Afghan government facilities.

Taliban leaders said last week that the offensive, which will be the last before NATO combat troops withdraw from Afghanistan, would cleanse "the filth of the infidels" from the country.

"Two rockets landed north of Kabul international airport," Sediq Sediqqi, the interior ministry spokesman, told AFP. "There were no casualties." NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) confirmed it was investigating the attack on the airport, where it has a military base.

It also said that mortars been fired at Bagram airport, the biggest ISAF base in Afghanistan, which lies north of Kabul.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attacks via a recognised Twitter account, and said other strikes had been carried out across the country.

No comments yet.
Be the first to post comment.